Today is a surreal day. It's hard to believe that this is really happening. The last time I felt this way was the day we left our family in FL to come to Costa Rica. That was almost exactly two years ago. Today is bittersweet. When I think of all that God has done in the two years here, it is overwhelming. I'm so thankful that He allowed us to be used by Him. That He overlooked our faults, short-comings, sinful nature, etc. and decided that His glory could shine better through our weakness.
When I think of how we have changed, I see again how amazing God is! When we arrived, our little Ava was 11 weeks old. She is now over 2 years old, and walking, talking bits and pieces of English & Spanish, and charming everyone with her infectious laugh (except when she's crying). Olivia, who came here as a two-year old, now about to turn 5. Her growth has been incredible. Her Spanish is near-perfect, and we are constantly surprised by her impressive vocabulary. She has fully immersed herself into the culture here, and she has learned how to accept people with arms wide open, and then let them go when it's time. She literally blows my mind with her maturity, her love for people, and her desire to serve. Seeing our 4-year old have the desire to go into dirty streets, love on kids who have so little, and willingly give away her own things to them is one of the best things we are taking with us. I know that God is going to do big, big things in her life.
When I think of the amazing people here, that we now consider part of our family, I remember how blessed I am. And I am so happy that we had the opportunity to meet and grow to LOVE them. And I look forward to the day we can see their faces and hug them again.
Our friend Roxanna, who taught us Spanish. Her patience with us is incredible. I love hearing her stories and being reminded of what really matters. I will always cherish the time we spent with her precious family, learning from them about culture, the language, and how we could love the people here better. She has taught me how to be open with people, how to love them, be patient with them and not give up on them. She has reminded me that God has a purpose in our pain. That He is teaching us, molding us into who He wants us to be.
People like Francesca, a 70-something year old abuela, whose faith in God is truly amazing. Who sits in her home, with cracks in the floor, and separates cloth to be sold to a factory. Her back and hands and everything aches with arthritis. But I have never been to her house when she wasn't smiling and praising God. What an example of great faith. Contentment. Joy. She has taught me how to trust God, even when things look bleak. To have joy in all circumstances.
Or my dear friend Mayela, who lost her husband of more than 20 years this week. He unexpectedly passed away, and yet her faith in God and his sovereignty is still strong. She is so confident of who her God is, that even when she doesn't understand why He allows things, she never doubts that He has a plan. And that His purposes are always right. I hope that one day I have that kind of unwavering faith. She has taught me how to believe God and take Him at his Word. To trust him fully, without fear, because He has a grand design for everything that happens.
And my amazing friend Jackeline, who has a precious little baby girl, and another baby on the way. She gets up and works very long hours, then goes home and takes care of her precious family. She inspires me to be a person who never gives up. Who never decides "this is too hard". Even though she and her husband both work, things are not easy for them. I am so amazed by their drive to provide the best life possible for their kids. She has taught me how to be patient, and wait on the Lord. She has shown me how to persevere.
Our Pastor and his precious family. Serving alongside them has been one of the most humbling experiences of my life. Seeing their dedication to the call God has for them. Watching the way they selflessly give of themselves, every single day. Their tireless love for God. Their passion for seeing Alajuelita changed. They have so deeply impacted our lives as well, in more ways than I know how to express. They have shown me how to love. How to love the way that God commands us - fully, not holding anything back. To not only love the lovable, but to love the un-lovable. They have taught me how to take care of people who are hurting. How to be there for people when they need you. How to point them to God and his amazing grace in any circumstance. And how to lead people by serving them.
Our friend Danny, who literally blows me away. We know that God has his hand on Danny's life. God is using him in huge ways with the youth of the church. He is leading them by example, and what more could they ask for? To have a leader who shows you the way to live, not just through words, but by actions. He is an incredibly giving, selfless person as well, and I hope I am more like him when I grow up. (Ha!) He has taught me that God can do amazing things if we will just let Him. If we will just believe Him. If we will just be a willing vessel.
The missionary staff we have served alongside - we have seen them give selflessly, work incredibly long hours, spend time away from family, and do whatever it takes to get things done. We have watched them fall in love with the people here, at the same time we were. They have taught us that we are not alone. They are the people who "get" what we have experienced here the most. We have laughed, cried, and all the emotions in between, with these precious people.
I could go on and on about the hundreds of people who have touched our lives, and we have been changed for the better. People whose faith is amazing. People who choose joy in any circumstance. People who work hard, despite the fact that things are bleak. People who love so deeply.
I leave here today with a piece of my heart being left behind. And that part that's going with us is part-Tico now. =)
Estamos muy agradecidos para nuestra tiempo aqui en Costa Rica. No puedo creer que hoy es el dia para decir "hasta luego". Nuestro Dios es muy bueno, y El sabe que va a pasar con la gente precioso de Alajuelita. El tiene proposito para todos. Gracias, Padre Celestial, para su misericordia. Somos tuyos.
No comments:
Post a Comment