Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Paint Thinner Boys

 I met 2 teenage boys recently. One was 13, the other 14. I was with the San Jose Baptist team in a barrio that we frequent when a lady came down to tell us that some guys were trying to break  into our cars. Some of the guys ran up to check it out and there were these 2 really greasy teenage boys there. They were evidently under my car trying to take something off of it. When I confronted them about it, they denied it.

Immediately I knew these boys were a little different. I started asking them questions and befriending them. The more I saw the more my heart softened for these 2 boys that were trying to rob me.

The 13 year old, Gerald, was high. He was sniffing paint thinner out of a coca-cola bottle as many men do around here. But this kid was only 13 years old. He could hardly speak clearly to me. I immediately let him know that I didn’t approve of what he was doing to his brain and that he should stop doing it.

They drilled me for 10 minutes or more for money to get food. The other boy, Brandon, told me over and over again that he was hungry. We immediately gave them some granola bars thinking maybe this would help them to sober up. When I asked the boys where they lived, Gerald told me that Brandon was living on the streets. I asked how long he had been doing this and he said, “1 month.” My heart broke. I had no way to fix this situation.

Later I thought of how much we needed the 6:8 Children’s Ranch to happen. I know of no place to take this kid for assistance. I can give him a meal, but I can’t give him a home due to his mental instability and his desire to rob others.

Gerald had cuts all up and down one of his arms. When asked why, Brandon answered, “he has problems at home.” Gerald continued to huff paint thinner as we talked. With every huff I thought of how short his life may end up being. He doesn’t have a fair chance. He is the victim of his family and culture and of poverty. He has inadequate education and a dim hope for a future.

When I would ask them a tough question, one would answer for the other. It’s as if it’s too painful for one of them to answer for themselves. They care for each other in this way.

We circled around them to pray for them. Gerald was extremely uncomfortable with this. I told him to trust me and to trust in Jesus. I placed my hands on their shoulders as did many others. I tried to communicate the love of their Father God to them in the way I placed my hands on them. I was very emotional over the situation these 2 young men were facing.

We prayed for them and as soon as we were done praying Brandon took Gerald’s paint thinner and poured it on the ground. Gerald (out of his mind) immediately took his lighter and set it on fire seriously frightening many people on the team. We had to get his huffing rag from him, but he continued to huff what he could from whatever had permeated the end of his long sleeve shirt.

Two guys (a father and son) from team took them and bought them each a chicken dinner. Even that wasn’t enough for these kids. They boldly requested the Chinese Restaurant over the chicken, but were treated just like children and had to eat what they were given. The team was able to move forward with ministry to the other kids and ended up having a really good time.

These 2 kids made the other poor kids look rich. These other kids have very little, but maybe they are not strung out on drugs so early in life. Maybe they have a home, even if it’s dirty, has holes in the roof and floods ever time that it rains. These kids have a home that food can be brought to by teams and staff missionaries, and prepared to eat. They have some stability. They have some love. They have some family that care for them and guide them. But these 2 kids were the product of something much more impoverished and dark, much more without hope and the knowledge of the love of God.

Later one of the families we are close with in the barrio came home. I asked her about the 2 boys and whether or not she knew them. It turns out that Brandon is her nephew. She let him stay with her when he was kicked out of his house, but she had to put him out as well due to drug use.

It should be very easy for me to judge these boys and do absolutely nothing for them, but I don’t believe that is an attitude of Christ. We are to consider others better than ourselves, to look out for their best interest and to serve them as Christ served.

If I am considering them better than myself, it makes it really difficult for me to judge them, because in my eyes they are better than I am. If I’m not looking out for my own interests, it makes it really difficult to ignore their needs. If I am serving them as Christ served, it will be hard to find something that I wouldn’t stoop down to do for them. If I care about being robbed more then I care about being Christ-like, then I will be unforgiving and ineffective.

I tear up as I think about these boys. I got pretty choked up in front of them today as I explained the situation to the team just before we prayed for them.

Last month we had someone try to break into our house, and now I’m praying for that guy daily and for an opportunity to serve him. I believe that prepped me to love these 2 boys that also tried to rob me.

The thought has crossed my mind about bringing Brandon into my home and away from what is ruining his life, but I just don’t know enough to put my family in that kind of position. My heart would love to do it, but wisdom says that is not the proper way to handle the situation. Where can this boy go to have a childhood again? Where can he go and run and play soccer like most of the other kids his age? Where can he go to be loved and to gain structure and stability in his life? Where can he go to learn skills that will make him a valuable member of society? Where can he go to prevent his life from ending too early? Where can he go to learn to treat girls with dignity and respect? Where can he go to learn what a good earthly father is like?

God has me asking the question, what can I do for these kids? Poverty stinks!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment