Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Our God

Yesterday we were working with a team that's here from Michigan. Their goal for the morning was to visit with three families living in poverty, pray with them, and deliver some groceries to help them out a little. I always enjoy these types of days, because without fail, God has been working before we get there. I love getting to be a part of His plan for these precious people!

So we were at Pali (the local grocery store) buying groceries in 3 different carts for the families. My group finished before the other two (Yes, I'm used to shopping fast with 2 kids under 5!) and I was waiting with them in the parking lot. I looked up across the parking lot for some reason and saw a friend I know - her name is Wendy. She lives in one of the poorest barios in Alajuelita, with her husband and five kids. Their house is about the size of our living room. Our living room is not big. They live in the neighborhood that flooded with sewage last week. They live in the neighborhood where children have been molested, drugs are sold on a daily basis, families are threatened, and the enemy is working to keep people in the dark - both literally and spiritually.

But in spite of all this, Wendy and her family come to church regularly. They even serve as volunteers for church services, special events, etc. They love God. They try to serve Him with the best that they have.

When I started talking to her yesterday, she told me that things have been extra hard for them lately. When I probed a little more, she finally told me that her husband left them 22 days ago, and that she is barely keeping afloat. She moved in with her mother-in-law and she is doing the best she can to keep the kids fed and the two babies in diapers and milk. Her job is one she created out of necessity. She sits out in front of the grocery store, right by the bus stop, in one of the most dangerous parts of town... not selling illegal copies of DVDs like others around her, not selling her body like other women in the area... she has a cart full of vegetables. Now I can tell you that vegetables do NOT go for a high price here. Other things like cheese, chocolate, electronics are all over-priced. I was struck by her determination to provide for her children in a healthy way. To keep fighting no matter the odds. To get out of bed, push the cart up hill and across a busy road just to make a few dollars for the day. I wondered if I was in the same situation if I would do the same, or if I would feel sorry for myself? Would I give up? Would I continue to trust God?

Because in that moment, she told me that she was trusting God. That she was thankful to God for what she has. That she was glad her children had a place to sleep. Somehow I don't think my attitude would be as Christ-like. That's not to speak negatively of myself, but I'm just being honest. I want to have that kind of faith. I want to trust God in every circumstance.

I was almost in tears as I went back to the group and asked if they would spend a little more money and buy some diapers for Wendy's babies. Diapers are expensive here, and it's one thing that could take a little pressure off. So they graciously agreed to go back in, and they not only bought her 3 packs of diapers, but several bags of milk (they use powdered milk here), some rice and some beans. Maybe with some basic necessities met, Wendy could go home with a little lighter load.

A few of us prayed with her, and she proclaimed again the goodness of God. She was thankful for His provision, in just the moment she needed it. Did this solve all her problems? No. Did it take away all her worries? No. But I love that God knows right when we need a boost. When we need the reminder that He does see all that we are going through. That He has been right where we are.

Don't you just love how our God loves us?!? I could tell you a lot of other stories just like this one. What have you seen Him doing lately that has overwhelmed you? Please share, I'd love to hear more about what God is doing all over the world.

Continue to remember those in prison as if you were together with them in prison, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering. Hebrews 13:3

No comments:

Post a Comment