Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Is this thing on?

I'm curious to know who, if anyone, is reading these blog posts... we're hoping that at least a few people are. Our plan is to use this blog for the most frequent updates about the journey we're on with God.

A lot of people have asked my parents (more on that later) if they are "okay with us leaving the country and taking their grandchildren so far away". The honest, truthful answer is no. What grandparent wakes up one morning and says, "I hope our kids move so far that we can't see our grandchildren on a regular basis." Only a crazy person. Or one with very bad grandchildren. The point of me saying that is this: while God has called us to go, serve Him in Costa Rica, where is he calling you to "go"? Is there somewhere that is too far? Is there a place He could ask you to go that would be beyond your limit? Is there a sacrifice He would ask us to make that's too much, in light of what Christ did for us on the cross? I wonder if people asked Mary & Joseph how they felt about having such an "extreme" son? I can only imagine the type of comments they heard. Jesus certainly didn't fit in. Or conform to what the religious leaders of his day thought was "biblical".

Even though it's unlikely that God is calling you to leave the country, we can "go" to the people God has placed in our life right where we are. How are you viewing your life? It truly is the "mission field" God has given you to serve in. I was very convicted by the following quote from Francis Chan's book, Forgotten God:

"...maybe you are called to where you live. But if you say you are called to be in the place you are, a few questions need to be considered. For example, how would you be missed if you left this place? What would change? Basically, what difference does your presence here make? ... What would your church (and the worldwide church) look like if everyone was as committed as you are? If everyone gave and served and prayed exactly like you, would the church be healthy and empowered? Or would it be weak and listless?"

Ouch. That hurt a little bit the first time I read it, and again just now. I certainly wouldn't want God's church to all look exactly like me. The point of this quote isn't to judge or condemn anyone, but rather to challenge us as individuals to live in a way that changes those around us. In order to do that, we must be willing to go - to our family, to the neighbor across the street, to the cashier at Publix, to the homeless man on the corner, and beyond. It's easier said than done, and more times than not it is uncomfortable to obey this command. Ask God where He wants you to go. Maybe it is to another country, or maybe it is across the street. The important part isn't the location, but rather our trusting Him to step out of the places we feel comfortable and show the love of Christ to the hurting, dying world around us.

Think about your own salvation. Most likely God used a person to reach out to you and show His love. What if that person didn't feel like obeying? What if he/she didn't want to go? I am thankful for the many people God placed in my path along the way, each leading me to a better understanding of His love for us.

3 comments:

  1. loved reading this post! very encouraging! and now to encourage you right back... Yes! It IS on over here at the Coleman house. ;) Praying for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's on at the Lehman house too! :) I know your leaving will be difficult for Lewis and Becky but I also know they want you and Jeremy to follow God's will for your lives! I am looking forward to reading your updates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes it's On at Kim's Coastal desk! Praying for you and thinking about ALL that God has in store for you as you step out in faith! God is good!

    ReplyDelete